Tuesday, April 20, 2010

When the Black Card starts to fade

I am a McNair Scholar. It's a program aimed at preparing "underrepresented" students for grad school, particularly for their PhD. We receive research training, GRE prep classes, etc.
While the term "underrepresented" may include people from all nationalities and races (the term also applies to first generation scholars and those with low SES's), it can go without saying that the majority of my fellow McNair Scholars are Black.
Last week, we had a guest speaker from the Psychology PhD program come in to tell us about life as a grad student. I completely disagreed with everything she had to say, but what annoyed me the most was when a Scholar asked her about GRE scores and she told her not to worry about it, just say in your essay that you're Black and you're in. What kind of advice is this!? And how does this explain my 6 rejection letters? Haven't we come to a day and age where your skin complexion isn't always going to justify your lack of ability? Sure, there's the whole gentrification thing, and the lack of funding for education in certain neighborhoods. But when you don't take advantage of what you do have, is your failure really because you're Black? Am I completely off?

2 comments:

Karim and Chastity said...

She was frank. But I am in love with affirmative action. Being black is still a issue to be discussed. And we all know the many issues from the past. Even more, the statistics on black males in jail, without jobs and in disadvantaged sections of society are all real. The fact that women in general cannot rise in the workplace is still true.

Karim and Chastity said...

You guys (the one or two readers we may have) have to realize how big of a deal it is for HIM to call someone else (ESPECIALLY ME) frank. I'm shocked. But thank you :)
I was not arguing against affirmative action. I feel that, as embarrassing (as a nation) and sad as it may be, we still need these set of laws that open doors for those not given equal opportunity because there are some crooks in the US. It may (or may not) be the case that I was accepted into my graduate program because I excelled as a minority and am therefore a recipient of Affirmative Action. And that's how it is.
My concern is when does "the Black Card" become a crutch? Is it okay to have that mentality while studying for the GRE? "Well, I'm Black and these things are designed to make us look bad anyway. I'll just make sure to note in my essay that I'm Black and it'll be all good". That's basically the advice this lady was giving. My scores were pretty decent on the GRE. Not decent for a Black, a Puerto Rican, or a New Yorker, but when ranked with everyone who has taken it. And I was still rejected from some universities.
I'm just saying, we are at a point where more is expected from us because more is available (if we make that effort). It's still difficult to make it, yes. But it's not impossible. And The Man, if you will, sees this and is raising the bar. So step your game up. We have a Black president lol