Thursday, April 29, 2010

It Don't Break Even

"Breakeven" - The Script

Verse 2: They say bad things happen for a reason. But no wise words gon' stop the bleeding. 'Cuz she's moved on while I'm still grieving. 'Cuz when a heart brakes, no it don't break even.
Chorus: What am I gonna do when the best part of me was always you? What am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're ok? I'm fallin' to pieces.

This is just a verse of one of my favorite songs out now. And it's SO true. In relationships, the amount of effort put in always seems to be able to put into an objective, numerical form. Don't we all love 50-50 relationships? But realistically, many are more of 60-40, even 70-30. This is when it gets ugly. That's when "you won't realize what you have until it's gone." That's where this song comes in. When that person giving more than 50% comes to this great realization that shit isn't even and seeks to better themselves. And the >50 gets <50% of the pain felt. Payback is a female dog. But then there's the case where the person giving the most in the relationship feels it the hardest. All the time wasted. All the effort put in. They didn't appreciate anything and still don't. Doesn't that suck? What's very interesting though, is that while in the relationship, both parties feel they're giving either 50% or greater. They fail to see what the other person does, compromises, sacrifices. It's called selfishness. When all you think about is how much I'm putting in and how much more I want, how do you have a healthy relationship. I guess the goal is to always make the effort to put in 60%. And if you're both doing it, you'll have a great relationship. And if not, it's their loss. They'll come to notice sooner or later - "(s)he ain't gonna ___ like I did it." Doesn't it feel good knowing that's true? How much are you giving? Is it enough? Are you getting the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZ1uI5yPbY

-Chastity M.

2 comments:

Karim and Chastity said...

I never realized that the person who constantly gives the extra percentage would be less willing to give up on the person who did less than their fair share. What I mean is that I did not immediately recognize that part of the message in the song.

Karim and Chastity said...

The song leaves much to the imagination. The only hint he gives is the line, "she found a man, and a man that's gonna put her first". But when you look at the video and he's reminiscent of the times they shared, it was happy times, times when they were both in love. It doesn't show who was giving more.
So I guess its more of an opportunity to put your situation in the blank spaces. And its posible for either party to feel the pain stronger, whether you genuinely gave your all because you loved him/her or you just didn't